Yorkshire Settlers brought Methodism to Sackville area in the 1770s. Methodism allowed for leadership without church buildings or ordained clergy.
Many of the Yorkshire settlers who arrived in the Chignecto area between 1772-75 met in small groups for Bible readings and worshipped together. In that sense Methodism arrived in Canada in 1772.
In 1790 the first Methodist church was built in Middle Sackville.
In Lower Sackville in 1818 a Methodist chapel was built at the corner of Bridge and Main streets. This image is of the Methodist Church in Sackville, NB between 1898 and 1925. For more information read the article, 'Gone but Not Forgotten' published by Tantramar Heritage Trust.
Image Source: Mount Allison University Archives 7315/12